ctool - graphical interface for manipulating ciphers
- The ctool program is designed to be a general interface for
manipulating all of the cipher types available to the cipher package.
Currently only the following ciphers can be used with ctool:
- Load a new cipher from the contents of a file
- Save the current workspace
- Load a previously saved workspace
- View the key for the current cipher
- Perform substitutions, locate tips, and change periods for ciphers. The
actual operations that can be performed depend on the current cipher type.
- Many cipher types can't be used with this tool, but they are still listed
when you load a new cipher.
- Pollux plaintext doesn't quite line up with the morse code text
- The user input areas are very lame. Their only redeeming value is that
they are functional. There are often buttons on the display that do nothing
but generate error messages.
- No drag and drop support on the ciphertext itself. One should be able
to, for example, drag and drop columns in a columnar cipher to change the key.
- You can't change a cipher's type after it's been loaded.
- Loading aristocrat ciphers sometimes cause the entire program to crash.
- Bugs abound. See the TODO file for details.
Back to the Index
Created on Wed Mar 31 08:18:24 PST 2004